Tuesday, March 2, 2010

the cutest "Dam" city

Mi dispiace for not having blogged earlier, but I have been extremely busy traveling the last couple of weeks.

(2 weeks ago):

I had planned a trip to amsterdam with my friends from BC alex and liz and was so excited to see them. It is one of my dad’s favorite cities, and I knew that I would love it. Due to never-ending technical difficulties with my little friend blackberry, I lost communication with alex and liz, and the last I heard from them was to meet them at the “haaggen-dazs” in rembrandt square. This posed several problems, for I had no idea where rembrandt square was and had no way of getting in contact with the girls.

However, as I jumped off the tram and walked down the street praying that the haagen-dazs would suddenly appear out of thin air, I heard “CHRISSY!”

When we woke up in the morning, we were completely famished and decided to grab something to eat. We stumbled upon a place called “B & B Lunchroom” and decided to go in. The sandwich selection was not to be believed—my choice was chicken, lettuce, tomato, mozzarella, pine nuts, and pesto. They had every possible type of muffin imaginable: lemon, apple, banana, cream cheese, chocolate chip, and many many more. Liz and I also decided to split the tomato soup, which came in this gorgeous giant bowl. We dove right in and were in awe as the fresh mozzarella hung from our spoons as we fought over who would have the next bite.

The day was spent walking the streets of amsterdam, going under and over bridges and in and out of stores. When you are there, it feels as though you have landed face first in a scene from the christmas carol. I honestly believed I was in a little christmas village, just like the one that lives under my christmas tree. It was the cutest “dam” city!

We then toured Anne Frank’s house, which was heartbreaking. They preserved the walls exactly how she had them during her time in hiding, and you could feel her presence as you walked through the rooms that were her life for so many months.

We also visited the Van Gogh museum, which you could spend hour after hour browsing an impressive collection of his work.

However, the trip wasn’t so innocent. After having heard so much hype about the red light district, I was determined to see this place for myself. As you casually walk through this little christmas city, you turn the corner and are suddenly in an entirely different world. I could not believe my eyes, as red lights flashed on and off, and people flooded the streets.

I was sad to leave, but knew that more adventures were in store, as I was heading to barcelona the next weekend for alex’s 21st birthday!

bacci,

chrissy

No comments:

Post a Comment