Monday, January 25, 2010

and so the journey begins...

Relief. That’s what a taste after drinking my second cappuccino in the British Airways lounge as I wait for my connecting flight to Rome. Arrivederci new york and bonjourno Roma. It sounded so simple at the time…however who knew it would be the exact opposite?

My journey to Rome started out with several good surprises. First, thanks to a special Terry, I was upgraded to business class. When I arrived on board, I was greeted with a glass of ice cold champagne, as well as a full bed to catch up on some much needed beauty rest. In the spirit of flying to London, I chose to watch a classic favorite of mine: Harry Potter. Within seconds I was fast asleep. With what seemed like mere minutes (which was indeed several hours), I woke the to smell of freshly brewed coffee and warm croissants. This is the life.

However, I spoke to soon. After touching down in Londontown, the madness began. I had a feeling I was going to miss my connecting flight to Rome, which I ended up missing. I ran off the plane as fast as I could and got fairly far until I reached security. It was packed. I frantically searched for Lucy, who was traveling with me, and she was no where to be found. I turned on my cell phone and the words “call failed” flooded my screen time after time as I tried to place a call home to say “GET ME TO ROME!!!!!” After several tears, I had a seat on the next flight to Rome.

With the time I had to spare until the flight, I entered the British Airways lounge where I saw the holy ground. 3 giant cappuccino makers in a row. I pressed the button and watched heaven glide down the sides of my cup. Hot milk, foam, espresso, and cinnamon. By far, an unbeatable combination, and immediately I began to feel better about my predicament.

My love for cappuccinos ensued in my early childhood when, after dinner, my mom would say “I’ll have a cappuccino.” These words would elicit a giant smile on my face for I knew what would be in store. Being the child I was, I would immediately grab the cappuccino when it arrived to the table, and slurp up my favorite part: the foam and the cinnamon. Of course, I would leave behind the espresso, my poor mom!

All in all, I finally made it to Rome. Here, I will spend the next four months undoubtedly drinking my fair share of cappuccinos, traveling, eating, and of course, living la dolce vita.

baci abbracci (hugs and kisses, so I’m told)

chrissy

1 comment:

  1. Love ur blog - am living vicariously in rome now. Love, Aunt Lorraine

    ReplyDelete