Monday, May 3, 2010

Ireland: Where the Farrell's hail

Though I am Irish, I never really considered myself to have the so-called “Irish pride” that is represented throughout the entire city of Boston, as well as has recently infiltrated Boston College (since when did BC designate themselves as an Irish Catholic school? Haha) However, having visited Ireland with the last name Farrell, I can truly say that I now understand what all the fuss is about. (Don’t worry Italy, I didn’t forget about the second half of my genes, and I still love you)


First of all, Farrell was everywhere. Farrell stores, Farrell signs, Farrell trucks, Farrell streets. You name it, there was a Farrell for it. So clearly, with the last name Farrell, it was like I belonged there. And I couldn’t go to Ireland without trying the beer…

Pints of Guinness greeted us in Galway. Though I had never had Guinness before, I was open to trying this thick, dark beer (it was the Irish thing to do!).

Everyone kept saying, “Guinness is better in Ireland!” So I decided to have a pint, which led to another pint..then another pint..then another..and another. By the end of the fourth pint I was so full that I couldn’t possibly have another. Suffice it to say, I have found a new love for Guinness.

In the morning, Lindsay and I woke up early and headed to the Cliffs of Moher. Not having any idea what to expect, I was in for the shock of my life. I could truly not believe my eyes when I peered over the edge of the winding coast that formed the Cliffs. They are without doubt the coolest natural sight I have ever seen in my life. Pictures could not do it justice, you just have to go there, trust me.

We spent the rest of our time in Galway by wandering the cute little town, and it is there that I stumbled upon the original claddagh ring shop. When I was little, my dad bought me a claddagh ring that I loved dearly. One day when I was playing in my backyard, the ring slipped of my finger and was lost forever. I never got another ring, but when I saw the original shop, Thomas Dillions, I had to have one. I walked in and the old couple that owned the shop spent nearly one hour finding me a little gold claddaugh ring that would fit my finger perfectly.

Before we headed back to Italia, Lindsay and I wanted to spend the day in Dublin, in particular visiting Trinity College, Old Temple Bar, and of course, the Guinness Factory. Dublin was a really fun city, and I wish I had gotten to spend more time there. However, within the few hours that I was there I can officially say that I am a certified Guinness bear pourer, which is quite a miraculous feat if you ask me.

ciao,

chrissy

No comments:

Post a Comment