Tuesday, March 2, 2010

barca left us broka

in high school, I spent several weeks in espana, going to school in Malaga, and traveling extensively through Toledo, Sevilla, Granada, Madrid, and several other cities. The one place I did not have the opportunity to visit was Barcelona.

so of course I jumped at the opportunity to spend the weekend with my BC friends in Barcelona for my friend alex’s 21st.

this past weekend I literally slept a total of 8 hours, even if that. But who needs sleep when your in Barcelona?

On Friday, I headed to the airport where I learned that France was holding an airline strike. Knowing that ariane (my roommate studying in Paris) was already safe and sound in Barcelona, I did not think that this would be an issue. However, within minutes I learned that my flight was delayed, and alex and liz (studying in London) would not be able to make it for the weekend due to their flight being cancelled. A snowstorm in the US made getting to Barcelona questionable for friends tina, tripp, taylor, and kirk, but we were all just hoping to make it there.

Luckily my plane got out of Roma, and I landed in Barcelona at 9 pm. I was greeted by ariane at the amazing hotel, Le Meridian (where we were supposed to be spending the night in a lap of luxury for alex’s 21st). Ariane told me to get dressed and we were out the door within the hour. We headed to pmac’s (another friend who was studying for the semester in Barcelona) where we met several other BC students and went right out to see dj crookers in a club/discotecca that seemed to have infinite rooms and floors . The party went on all night, and ariane and I retired to our lovely hotel circa 6 am.

Being the little explorer I am, I dragged miss ariane out of bed at 9 am to do some much needed sightseeing. We headed to la sagrada familia, and many of gaudi’s buildings. My favorite was by far the casa batllo.

With no time to rest, we decided to go to the Barcelona vs. Malaga soccer game. We scalped tickets and landed 2nd row seats where we could see the sweat dripping from the players. We yelled "Barca!" at the top of our lungs, and had quite the experience.

Riding home on the metro, we noticed a questionable character, and before she knew it, ariane had been pick-pocketed. We all felt terrible, but ariane did not let it get her down, and we immediately headed right out to the clubs on the beach.

We danced all night long, and had a great time (except taylor was also unfortunate in the fact that his camera was mysteriously taken from his pocket).

We again strolled into the hotel at 6 am, and caught some zzz’s before I had to catch a plane home to roma.

All in all, it was a disastrously amazing weekend..one that left us broke, but with some great memories.

ciao,

chrissy

No comments:

Post a Comment